An adjective is a part of speech (word) that modifies a noun or a pronoun by qualifying, specifying or describing it.
*Generally an adjective modifies a noun by answering one of these following questions:
Which? What kind? Hwo ma?
- Foxe is a cunning animal. (Answer the question What kind of animal?)
- Five or six gunmen attack the area. (Answer the question Hwo ma gunmen?)
- The one-eyed man tells him the story. (Answer the question Which man?)
Following are the different types of adjectives-
i.Qualitative Adjective or Descriptive Adjective or Adjective of quality
ii.Quantitative Adjective or Adjective of quantity
iii.Numeric Adjective or Adjective of Number
i. Qualitative Adjective or Adjective of quality:
Express the qualities of something or someone.
Such as great, good, bad, wise, poor, nice, happy, pretty, angry, blue etc.
- He gives me a great idea.
- Mr. Rahim is a good person.
- He is a bad gyu.
**Adjective of quality answer the question: what kind?
ii. Quantitative Adjective or Adjective of quantity:
Express or indicate the quantity of a noun or pronoun.
Such as some, little, much, enough, whole, sufficient, all, none, more, half, no etc.
- I have enough money to but the car.
- The whole countrymen congratulate the president.
- She wants all the money.
**Adjective of quantity answer the question: Hwo ma or much?
iii. Numeric or Adjective of number:
Express the number or order of something or someone. Such as one, two, three, ………., first, second, third, ……………, single, double, triple, quadruple, twofold, threefold, five fold, ………… etc
- He can eat ten eggs at a time.
- She is the first girl in the class.
- The house owner does not rent the room to the single person.
**Adjective of number is to types Definite and Indefinite.
Definite Numeric adjectives are of three kinds.
- Cardinal (one, two, ….),
- Ordinal (first, second, ……),
- Multiplicative (Single, double, …..)
iv. Demonstrative Adjective:
Specify the nouns or pronouns. Such as this, that, those, these etc.
- This boy is good.
- That is her room.
- These are the book to follow.
v. Distributive Adjective:
Express the distributive state of nouns. Such as every, each, neither, either, both etc.
- Every movie in the series is popular.
- Both the boys are appreciated by them.
- Each person will get the reward.
vi. Possessive Adjective:
Shows the possession or belongin gness in the sentence. Such as his, her, him, my, our, your, their etc.
- This is her cell phone.
- I have seen their house.
- Our house is two stored house.
vii. Interrogative Adjective:
Interrogative Adjective modifies nouns in an interrogative sentence. Such as which, what, whose etc.
- What kind of man he is?
- Whose phone is this?
- Which program are you listening?